For additional safety guidance, visit one of the following sites:
British Columbia Children’s Hospital: www.bcchildrens.ca
Home Safety Council: www.homesafetycouncil.org
Safe Kids Canada: www.sickkids.ca
For more informationon fireplace and stove safety, please visit www.hpba.org/staysafe, or contact a hearth product retailer in your area to learn more.
Fireplace and Stove Glass Safety
Each year, millions of people enjoy the warmth, comfort and ambiance of their hearth products during the heating season. Caution should be taken, however, when operating fireplaces and stoves, for the glass panels and other surfaces can become extremely hot due to the high efficiency of the products.
The temperature of a glass panel in particular can increase within a few minutes of ignition of the appliance and can remain hot long after the product is turned off. Touching the fireplace or stove glass can lead to significant burn injuries.
To minimize the chance of burn injuries, the Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association (HPBA) recommends the following steps for safe and enjoyable operation of a hearth product:
- After turning off your gas fireplace or stove, wait for the appliance and glass panel to cool down before allowing anyone to get near it. The glass may remain warm from a lit pilot light. Metal surfaces, such as door frames and grilles, may also get very hot.
- Make sure all visitors are aware of the hot temperature of the glass panel of a fireplace or stove Never leave young children alone near an operating fireplace or stove.
- Discuss fireplace and stove safety with children, and make sure they know they should never touch the glass panel of a fireplace or stove.
- A physical barrier is recommended if there are children in the house. To restrict access to a fireplace or stove, install an adjustable safety gate to keep young children out of the room and away from the hot surface.
- Install a switch lock to prevent children from turning on the gas fireplace.
- Keep the gas fireplace remote control out of the reach of children.
- Always read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the safe use and maintenance of your hearth appliance.